Become Certified in Scoliosis Specific Exercise Rehabilitation with ScoliBalance®
The ScoliBalance certification program is designed for health professionals seeking to assess and treat patients with scoliosis and/or hyperkyphosis using specific exercise rehabilitation.
The ScoliBalance concept was created by Dr. Jeb McAviney (Chiropractor) drawing on his clinical experience treating scoliosis using a combination of Chiropractic Biophysics, SEAS and Schroth techniques.
The ScoliBalance course was further developed by an experienced team including Dr. McAviney, Rosemary Marchese (Physiotherapist), Rebecca Phillips (Exercise Physiologist) and Johanna Mee (Exercise Physiologist). All have extensive clinical experience in scoliosis specific exercise rehabilitation and the assessment and treatment of patients using specific exercise based therapies.
The program combines the most relevant practices and principles in physical therapy, chiropractic and exercise rehabilitation for a 3D approach to managing scoliosis, tailored to each individual patient according to their curve type, symptoms and treatment goals. It is also consistent with SOSORT guidelines and PSSE principles.
The ScoliBalance certification course is an opportunity for health and medical professionals who are treating/would like to treat scoliosis with exercise therapy to gain formal certification. It is subject to a strict selection process.
The Certification Pathway
Full certification involves completion of an introductory course and two ScoliBalance levels, each with specific entry requirements.
Successful completion of ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1) will provide health professionals with the preliminary skills and knowledge required to work with adolescents and adults with Idiopathic Scoliosis, postural scoliosis and hyperkyphosis.
Advanced certification requires you to complete ScoliBalance Level 2 within 6 months to 3 years of completion of ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1).
Once you have completed ScoliBalance Advanced (Level 2) you will be certified as an Advanced ScoliBalance Provider. Annual ongoing licensing* will also apply.
*subject to change
ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1) Course
Register your interest for upcoming courses!
This course will provide you with introductory fundamental knowledge and skills in the area of exercise rehabilitation for scoliosis and hyperkyphosis.
The course will be focused on the implementation of a scoliosis and hyperkyphosis specific rehabilitation program using:
- ScoliCorrections (specific postural autocorrections in 3D) and ScoliExercises (specific exercise application of the corrective postures).
- ScoliRoll and Denneroll (specifically designed devices for scoliosis and hyperkyphosis).
- Integration into activities of daily living, and patient education.
- Complete 8 hours* of online content prior to attending the face-to-face practical days. Once enrolled you have 3 months access to the online component of the course.
- Attend 3 practical face-to-face days and complete the practical assessment on Day 3. Attendance for the entire time is compulsory, and must be completed after successfully completing the online component.
- Completion of ScoliBalance Level 1 provides basic certification. For advanced certification Level 2 will need to be completed within 6 months to 3 years of completion of ScoliBalance Level 1.
*individual times may vary
ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1) Course – Early bird fee: USD $2295 | Standard fee: USD $2800
Price includes inclusion of first year licence fee.
Upon completion of ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1) Certification, you will be licenced to deliver the skills and knowledge acquired and your name and contact details will be listed on our ScoliBalance directory for easy access by patients and other health professionals to refer to you. The first year licence fee is included in the cost of the course. To maintain your Certification, an annual registration and licensing fee* will be charged from your second year.
Your licence will include:
- Ability to deliver ScoliBalance to patients (within your scope of practice), and your name and contact details listed on the ScoliBalance website directory.
- ScoliBalance marketing assets including digital brochure, logo, key messages and Basic Certified Provider seal.
*subject to change
- An invitation to four training webinars annually (these will be recorded so you can watch at a later date). You will be required to watch at least one of these webinars per year to maintain your licence.
- Access to the ScoliCare Central portal for ScoliBalance resource manuals.
ScoliBalance Advanced (Level 2) Course
This course will be focussed on equipping learners with comprehensive skills and knowledge to deliver ScoliBalance programs to patients with scoliosis and hyperkyphosis. It will consolidate the skills and knowledge acquired in Level 1, and advance the learner to ensure an expanded repertoire of ability to manage a more varied case load.
The course will include:
- Advanced scoliosis specific concepts and methods, including but not limited to Schroth specific breathing, axial elongation and specific exercise techniques, and visualisation for postural correction
- Clinical and functional assessment and treatment of complex cases, e.g. Marfan’s, NF1, syrinx and chiari malformations
- Management of triple, high thoracic curves, and combined hyperkyphosis and scoliosis using ScoliBalance for complex adult and adolescent cases
- Scoliosis management in pre- and postnatal sagittal profile and scoliosis
- Sport and Exercise recommendation
- Advanced certification requires you to complete ScoliBalance Level 2 (approximately 8 hours online and 3 days face-to-face) within 6 months to 3 years of completion of ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1).
- Once you have completed Level 2 you will be certified as an Advanced ScoliBalance Provider.
- Maintenance of the licence requires annual payment of the licence fee*.
*subject to change