Become Certified in Scoliosis Specific Exercise Rehabilitation with ScoliBalance®
The ScoliBalance certification program is designed for health professionals seeking to assess and treat patients with scoliosis and/or hyperkyphosis using specific exercise rehabilitation.
The ScoliBalance concept was created by Dr. Jeb McAviney (Chiropractor) drawing on his clinical experience treating scoliosis using a combination of Chiropractic Biophysics, SEAS and Schroth techniques.
The ScoliBalance course was further developed by an experienced team including Dr. McAviney, Rosemary Marchese (Physiotherapist), Rebecca Phillips (Exercise Physiologist) and Johanna Mee (Exercise Physiologist). All have extensive clinical experience in scoliosis specific exercise rehabilitation and the assessment and treatment of patients using specific exercise based therapies.
The program combines the most relevant practices and principles in physical therapy, chiropractic and exercise rehabilitation for a 3D approach to managing scoliosis, tailored to each individual patient according to their curve type, symptoms and treatment goals. It is also consistent with SOSORT guidelines and PSSE principles.
The ScoliBalance certification course is an opportunity for health and medical professionals who are treating/would like to treat scoliosis with exercise therapy to gain formal certification. It is subject to a strict selection process.
The Certification Pathway
Full certification involves completion of two ScoliBalance levels.
For those with minimal scoliosis knowledge or experience, we also recommend completing our online Essentials of Scoliosis Management course alongside, or before completing ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1) to develop foundation knowledge
Successful completion of ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1) will provide health professionals with the preliminary skills and knowledge required to work with adolescents and adults with Idiopathic Scoliosis, postural scoliosis and hyperkyphosis. An annual subscription fee* will apply.
Advanced certification requires you to complete ScoliBalance Level 2 within 6 months to 3 years of completion of ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1).
Once you have completed ScoliBalance Advanced (Level 2) you will be certified as an Advanced ScoliBalance Provider.
*subject to change
- Complete 8 hours* of online content prior to attending the face-to-face practical days. Once enrolled you have 3 months access to the online component of the course.
- Attend 3 practical face-to-face days and complete the practical assessment on Day 3. Attendance for the entire time is compulsory, and must be completed after successfully completing the online component.
- Completion of ScoliBalance Level 1 provides basic certification. For advanced certification Level 2 will need to be completed within 6 months to 3 years of completion of ScoliBalance Level 1.
*individual times may vary
ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1) Course – Early bird fee: USD $2295* | Standard fee: USD $2800* (also includes the first year’s subscription fee)
Upon completion of ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1) Certification, you will be qualified to deliver the skills and knowledge acquired plus gain access to the following subscription benefits.
- Ability to deliver ScoliBalance to patients (within your scope of practice).
- Your name and contact details listed on the ScoliBalance website directory for easy access by patients to find you and other health professionals to refer to you
- ScoliBalance marketing assets to help you promote ScoliBalance services to patients, including a digital promotional brochure, promotional video, brand logo, key brand messages and Certified ScoliBalance Provider seal.
- Access to the ScoliCare Central portal for ScoliBalance resource manuals
- Access to “SimpleSet For ScoliBalance” Exercise Prescription Software – Easy to use platform, customizable ScolBalance plans for each patient, extensive ScoliBalance exercise image library available.
- Invitation to four (4) information and training webinars each year. You will be required to participate in at least one (1) of these webinars per year (Recordings of all webinars will also be made available).
To maintain ongoing Certification including access to all ScoliBalance resources, the annual subscription fee is USD $375**. The first year’s subscription is included in the up-front course cost.
*Price at Nov 2022, subject to change. ** Price at Nov 2022, subject to change.
ScoliBalance Advanced (Level 2) Course
This course will be focussed on equipping learners with comprehensive skills and knowledge to deliver ScoliBalance programs to patients with scoliosis and hyperkyphosis. It will consolidate the skills and knowledge acquired in Level 1, and advance the learner to ensure an expanded repertoire of ability to manage a more varied case load.
The course will include:
- Advanced scoliosis specific treatment concepts and methods*, including but not limited to:
- Further techniques to achieve 3D stable postural correction
- Corrective breathing/rotational angular breathing (RAB)
- Body block asymmetries and pelvic corrections
- Using muscle tension and other exercise techniques to strengthen the corrected posture
- Visualisation techniques to enhance postural correction.
- Clinical and functional assessment and treatment of complex scoliosis cases, e.g. Marfan’s, NF1, syrinx and chiari malformations
- Management of triple, high thoracic curves, and combined hyperkyphosis and scoliosis
- Introduction to the management of patients with neuromuscular scoliosis
- Scoliosis management in pre- and postnatal patients
- Understanding the treatment implications of sagittal alignment in scoliosis
- Techniques to enhance motivation and compliance of patients, and the effectiveness of home exercise programs
- Establishing a successful ScoliBalance Provider business.
- Advanced certification requires you to complete ScoliBalance Level 2 (approximately 8 hours online and 2.5 days face-to-face) within 6 months to 3 years of completion of ScoliBalance Basic (Level 1).
- Once you have completed Level 2 you will be certified as an Advanced ScoliBalance Provider.
- Maintenance of the certification requires annual payment of the subscription fee^.
*The course developers have been trained in multiple methods of physiotherapeutic scoliosis specific exercises (PSSE). The ScoliBalance program incorporates the most effective strategies in various methods, including but not limited to Schroth, using the best evidence-based practice and clinical experience available.
^subject to change